Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:42:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" <yankee@az.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, gdonl@tsc.tdk.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAPS effort

If ISP Z has 2 frame relay PVCS on a serial connection using a say a cisco
2501 and uses upstream ISP A and ISP B and ISP A is on PVC #16 and routing
199.199.199.x and big ISP B is on PVC #17 and routing 200.200.200.x and
then ISP Z decides to use PVC #16 as the default gateway then all source
packets, even the ones from machines on the 200.200.200.x segment would go
out the 199.199.199.x gateway. Now if the upstream ISP A chose to block
200.200.200.x on the egress it would cut off ISP Z's machines that used
the 200 addresses (packets can come in on PVC #17 but can't go out PVC #16
and then get through the upstream egress block) and of course the opposite
would be true if the ISP Z decided to make PVC #17 the default gateway and
ISP B blocked the 199 addresses on the egress router.