Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2018 07:42:29 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Confusing smartd messages

05.07.2018 7:03, George Mitchell пишет:
> Every thirty minutes, smartd is telling me:
>
> Device: /dev/ada1, 2 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
> Device: /dev/ada1, 2 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>
> smartctl -a /dev/ada1 seems to be reassuring me that everything is
> fine (SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED),

If that would say FAILED, you should be replacing the disk immediately.
PASSED does not mean it has no problems, but problems are not fatal (yet).

> though it also says:
>
> 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
>       -       2
> 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age
> Offline      -       2
>
> which sounds like it confirms the log message above.  The disk is
> part of a zraid pool whose "zpool status" also says everything is
> okay.  What's the recommended action at this point?     -- George

You need to force the disk performing rewrite of those two bad sectors.
There is a possibility they are just an example of "soft bad" and in that event
the problem will just disappear without new remaps, that would be best possble case.

Or two sectors could happen really bad and remap will "fix" (really hide) the problem,
in that case you should be ready for possible increasing number of bad sectors
and have a replacement handy.

First step is running zpool scrub or even replace the disk and run "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1".