Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:08:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@mail.cruzio.com>
To:        Richard.Williamson@u4eatech.com
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD diskless embedded 'where to start'

 Hi, Richard. re:

 > ... can I ask here about steps to take?

 The following "FAQ" is somewhat dated (being most
specific to FreeBSD 4.3) but is thorough and has
helped a lot of people get up to speed on PicoBSD:

 http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~brucem/pico_notes.htm

 http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~brucem/pico_notes.htm

 Current versions of FreeBSD (other than perhaps
"bridge" will not likely fit on a floppy. However,
if you read over this doc and customize a picobsd
to your needs, picobsd can work great. I've run
picobsd booting off SanDisk CD a good bit. You
can also do neat stuff like netboot piocbsd pretty
easily.

 Some folks inquired about folding some of this
doc into FreeBSD doc a good while back, and at
one time that was someone's intent, but the problem
seems to be that picobsd is a bit brittle in that
as FreeBSD versions change and grow, there are often
minor "breakage" and size issues with picobsd.
It's a slight moving target.

More people probably use picobsd to "roll
their own version" than just use the standard
configs.

This picobsd "FAQ" was aimed at encouraging
students to get into embedded systems, so there's
a lot of stuff in it that is not specific to
FreeBSD/PicoBSD, and I never got around to
going back and cleaning it up.

The "man picobsd" page is now fairly extensive.

 - bruce