Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 02:17:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        karsten@rohrbach.de
Cc:        mbendiks@eunet.no (Marius Bendiksen), des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), tuinstra@clarkson.edu (Dwight Tuinstra), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-fs)
Subject:   Re: Journaling Filesystems in bsd?  (LFS, anyone?)

Karsten writes:
> Marius Bendiksen(mbendiks@eunet.no)@Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 02:40:21PM +0200:
> [...]
> > more proper such filesystem. Or, get someone to port WAFL, and get NVRAM.
>
> this would be an interesting thing. with all the negative points of
> nvram you got a few good points in wafl design which might be of
> interest when it comes to lots of disks carrying one filesystem:
> a) metadata is contained in files
> b) those files are successors, referenced by the last on-volume snap
> c) spreading the file system over a bunch of disks is easy, also without
>    lvm by design
> d) devices in a bunch can be different size
> e) you can hot-grow the filesystem (if your hardware supports hot-plug)
> f) you can have as many files as you wish (or limit in your hashing
>    structure) on a volume
> g) linear write window over all devices
>
> is netapp's wafl concept patented somehow?

There are three patents of which I'm aware.

That said, someone has already written a read-only WAFL FS for
FreeBSD; it was announced to the FreeBSD FS list several weeks
ago.

Another interesting concept is described in:

	The Design and Implementation of a DCD Device Driver
	for UNIX
	Tycho Nightengale, Yiming Hu, Qing Yang
	1999 Usenix
	<http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix99/full_papers/nightingale/nightingale_html/>;

Ignore the fact that Jordan and I are thanked for a tiny amount
of information at the end of the paper: it's a very good paper,
anyway.  ;^)

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---