Date:      Tue, 23 May 2006 04:39:38 +0200
From:      Clemens Renner <claim@rinux.net>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security Survey

> Finally, it only takes one security failure in the update process for
> someone undesirable to "own" all the FreeBSD machines that have been
> left in this default mode.  Despite the best efforts of FreeBSD
> developers, FreeBSD will always contain bugs and some of them will
> be security holes.  Any automatic update process needs to balance
> the benefits of reducing the number of unpatched boxes against the
> risks of the update system being subverted.

I couldn't agree more. One of the major problems with
unattended/automatic updating is that it is hard to filter them. I don't
install updates on a system that doesn't _need_ them.

I think that the solution to this problem lies in a reliable and
comprehensive notification mechanism for admins that tells them to
upgrade once some part (base or ports) of the system is vulnerable to
attacks. And as a second part of the solution, I'd like to see handy
tools to ease the actual upgrading process for the admin.

The notification mechanism is okay via mailing lists, although that
requires an admin to memorize a list of installed packages/ports which
can be a pain with lots of boxes to take care of. Personally, I like the
way portaudit works, notifying me (via the daily run) of any pending
issues. It's a very effective system mainly because it keeps nagging you
every day and makes it hard to forget about an issue that still applies.

In a different corner is portupgrade which basically constitutes a
highly usable tool but has minor annoyances that really complicate
things. For example, when upgrading MySQL -- even with mysql_enable=YES
in rc.conf, portupgrade will stop the sever but not restart it. Is there
any plausible reason for this behaviour? I can't think of any. In fact,
I resort to
# portupgrade mysql-server && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql restart
which is really annyoing if a lot of services will be upgraded that
aren't automatically restarted. This would be a good thing to take care of.

All in all: FreeBSD is my system of choice for servers, Gentoo for
workstations (which is pretty much like a Linux-flavoured FreeBSD).
Especially due to the still almost painless way of keeping the system
current.

Cheers
Clemens