Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 01:55:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/isa fd.c

: What does NetBSD do here?  It would surprise me if they didn't have a
: method to distinguish between their various machines at the cpp level.

NetBSD does what FreeBSD does.  They define __${MACHINE}__ and
__${MACHINE_ARCH}__ for each port.  The trouble happens when MACHINE
== MACHINE_ARCH and there's more than one.  I'm not sure what
NetBSD/pc98 is going to do once it is integrated into the tree.  For
the NetBSD architectures that have more than one MACHINE for a given
MACHINE_ARCH, these names are always different (again, I'm not sure if
this will hold once pc98 goes into the NetBSD tree).

_MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE_ARCH are used only by make and maybe one or
two other minor things.

The problem with using anything in machine/*.h is that FreeBSD/pc98
and FreeBSD/i386 use the same files.  You'd have to have the ifdefs in
there based on PC98 being defined or not.

Warner