Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:41:12 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>, Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>, freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP:  XFree86 4.2.0 going back in the tree

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 05:37:15PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> I suspect there is a timing problem for anyone who had the
> 4.2 megaport installed.  If that is installed, then the
> real sequence is this:
>
>      1) you effectively have all the sub-ports of the new
>         meta-port installed, *but* none of the package
>         programs realize this.  They think you just have
>         an out-of-date version of XFree86-4.2
>      2) when you ask to update XFree86, the new meta-port
>         says "oh, but first I need the XF-libraries".  It
>         then tries to build the "new" port of XF-libraries.
>         That port will make some decisions based on what
>         files *it* sees as being already installed.
>      3) the meta-port then says "I also need XF-clients",
>         so that port is made and installed.  Again, that
>         port makes decisions based on what files it sees
>         as already being installed.
>      3a) repeat for all other sub-ports.
>      4) We then go back to "making the new version" of
>         the XFree86-4 port.  Let's assume this works.
>      5) *Now* portupgrade will decide to delete the *old*
>         version of XFree86-4 -- the megaport.  Assuming
>         it actually does this, it will be deleting files
>         which were installed by all the new sub-ports in
>         steps 2 and 3 (assuming those had all worked...).
>      6) Then, finally, it tries to do the 'make install'
>         for the new XFree86-4 port.
>
> The exact details of the above may be wrong, as I haven't
> gotten to the end of installing the new meta-port yet, but
> I think the basic outline of the problem is accurate.  The
> current idea of deinstalling and re-installing a port does
> not work if the new port is really several new ports, and
> the old port is a megaport that had included all of those
> pieces in a single port.

No.  I just talked to knu-san, and he told me that portupgrade
does not delete shared libs by default.  So in order to upgrade
your currently installed megaport, you need:

	portupgrade -uR XFree86

I ran into the same problem upgrading on my test box, which is
that portupgrade didn't remove libX11 or any other .so from the
original version, and when it tried to install the metaport's
dependencies, these deps were satisfied by the currently existing
libraries from the PREVIOUS version of XFree86!  So the new
XFree86-libaries did not get installed before -clients.

I'm testing the above now.

--
wca