Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:00:41 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:42:03 +0100, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> I possible I want my server to upgrade from 8.2-RELEASE to 9.0-RELEASE.
> I guess the binary upgrade will not be a problem with "freebsd-update -r
> 9.0-RELEASE fetch" If so, I do like to hear the caveats.

Source update also shouldn't be a problem.
Setup your CVS "supfile" to get the 9.0-RELEASE
sources and follow the instructions in the
handbook and in /usr/src/Makefile's comment
header.

> My main problem lies with the installed ports. I know the -all- have to
> be recompiled, but I don't know an easy way for this job.

Not "have to", but it's often considered
"best practice". If you don't want to
recompile all your ports, make sure two
things are met:

1. You have COMPAT_FREEBSD8 in your kernel.

2. You have compat8x-i386-8.2.12345.67890
   installed (or amd64 respectively).

This will work as long as you're not starting
to install something new (which may cause
library version trouble).

However, using a port management tool to do
the job of "update all ports" is often highly
recommended.

> I always use
> portmaster.

Did you look into its manual already? :-)

> Do I have to make a list manually for all installed ports?

Depends. A possible approach is that you make
a list of your "primary ports", i. e. the stuff
that you are _really_ intending to use, where
"secondary ports" they depend on (i. e. the
dependencies) are not mentioned, as they will
be installed anyway. So for example, if "firefox"
is on your list as you intend to use it, there's
no need to list all its dependencies as well
because they are implicit.

> Or is there a procedure to follow in this matter? I'd like to get some
> pointers if possible.

Sure. See "man portmaster", section EXAMPLES,
where you'll find "Using portmaster to do a
complete reinstallation of all your ports"
with a complete procedure.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany