Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 23:38:33 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <andy@geek4food.org>
To:        stable@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weird rodent behaviour

--------

Hi,

A recent thread on -STABLE prompted me to type up the following
description of oddities I've been noticing with my mouse under 4.0-STABLE:

I've been using a Logitech Marble FX for 18 months now - it used to be directly
plugged into my "main" machine. It wasn't correctly recognised by the psm driver
(which used to report a MouseMan+, IIRC), but it worked well enough - modulo
some odd behaviour when scrolling down the 'VT Options' menu in Xterm using
Ctrl-"Real Middle Button" (looked like it was seeing lots of spurious
"button-up/button-down" events, but I never really worried about it too much).

However, the "middle" button (this guy has 4 buttons) worked fine for 'paste'
operations in both syscons and X (3.3.6, mouse is sysmouse) until I recently
supped -STABLE (4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Wed Apr 26 14:33:22 PDT 2000),
at which point I noticed that I now have to "chord" the 1st and 3rd buttons to
get the "middle" button (this is an SMP kernel, just in case that has any
relevance).

The mouse is now /much/ less responsive than it used to be - press events are
often missed, rubber-banding is prone to weird behaviour, it just generally feels
much less "snappy" than it used to - just moving windows around feels "laggy".

Even more recently (last w/e), I added a Linksys 4 port KVM switch, and took
the M$ mouse off another machine and plugged it into the KVM.

I now notice that:

* The KVM switch seems to prevent the mouse being detected correctly, psm "sees"
  only a generic PS/2 mouse on both machines - dmesg says:

   psm0: failed to get data.
   psm0 irq 12 on isa
   psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0

   on both machines.

*  A kernel/world, 3.4-STABLE from Apr 2nd seems to work fine still. The
   mouse is as "snappy" as I recall, and the "centre" button works fine, in both
   syscons and X.

The only difference is that one machine is running 4.0-STABLE. When both were
running 3.4-STABLE, they both worked fine.

Any comments? I notice that the 'psm' driver has changed a fair bit recently,
and obviously this has changed the behaviour for this mouse. Unfortunately, the
code looks like it contains many chicken entrails ;-O - anything I can do to
help improve the support for this mouse?

Cheers,

AS