Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2011 02:53:14 -0500
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Fred Boatwright <fred@blakemfg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nedit problem

Fred Boatwright wrote:

> After updating all ports on 8.1-RELEASE, nedit has a problem.  The right
> mouse button works ok in the toolbar but if it is pressed in the text
> area, for example to copy a block of text, the cursor changes shape and
> the X session becomes completely locked up.  I have to stop X and
> restart it.  I have tried to deinstall nedit and rebuild it but this
> didn't help.  It is nedit-5.5 with Motif 2.2.3.

This is a known problem with many Motif-based applications, arising
from a bug in recent versions of Xorg.  It has been corrected
upstream, and it is likely that this problem will be fixed when the
ports freeze ends shortly after the release of FreeBSD 7.4 and 8.2, if
not before.  If you can't wait, you can try using the patches from:

b.