Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 19:06:30 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        "Brad Bates" <bab@icon.lal.ufl.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can one dual boot fbsd?  No?  (was Re: wd0/sd0 can't bo

> From:          "Brad Bates" <bab@icon.lal.ufl.edu>
> To:            <chaos@tgci.com>
> Subject:       Re: Can one dual boot fbsd?  No?  (was Re: wd0/sd0 can't bo
> Date:          Fri, 30 May 1997 18:00:37 -0400

> I don't want to butt-in here, and I am not a FreeBSD
> guru, but it seems that any bootloader that is setup
> this way would not "see" the IDE drive correctly if
> it is added to the CMOS after the initial setup for a
> SCSI drive.  PCs "think" the boot drive is the first
> IDE drive when they are in the CMOS, and I suspect
> the bootloader behaves a lot like is described below.

Not butting in at all.  The reason I disabled the ide drive in the
first place (subject of a previous, similar help message to no avail!
:( ) is that one of the first times I tried this I left the ide
drive (with 2.1.7 on it) active.  I used the boot floppy and disk labeled the
second, scsi drive for 2.2.2.  The result of that was that the system
on the ide drive got trashed.  It would still boot, but *lots* of
errors.  Luckily I had backups--it's a live, but low use mail/web
server.

> Did you re-install with the IDE in place from the start,
> and, if so, did that cure the problem?

No, gun shy per above!

> Sorry to interrupt -- this was good to see in advance
> since I may have run into similar problems in a week
> or so!  Thanks, and hope for nothing but SCSI in all
> of our futures...

You're right about a pc wanting to boot from the first ide,
although I recently saw a bios that had a scsi boot option.
But I don't think that's the problem here--it's more the way fbsd
looks at the disks.  Maybe.  I'd really like someone who understands
this to explain.

But it is a temporary situation I can work around.  At this point
it's mostly curiosity.

Cheers,

Riley