Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 11:53:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gary Crutcher <gcrutchr@nightflight.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

On Sat, 13 Jan 1996, Gary Crutcher wrote:

> Well, I upgraded from 2.05 to 2.1 last night. Only problems I had was that
> the Matshushita CD-ROM driver would not compile (something about NMAT??). So
> I commented it out of my kernel configuration.  The only other thing that
> happened was that the services file got truncated to 5 entries. What a
> surprise when telnet and Popper were not working!

Odd about the matcd driver.  I don't use it so ???

My services got eaten too. I just grabbed the one from -current.

> I assume the upgrade option on the CD-ROM copied all the new src files to my
> hard drive, or should I have selected a Full Installation from the NEWBIE Menu?

you might try this:
1.  Copy your kernel config to a safe place
2.  rm -r /usr/src/sys
3.  Reinstall the kernel sources

I've found this is a pretty good solution for problematic compiles, when
the config file is OK.

Did you compare your matcd0 line to the one in LINT and made sure there
were no changes?

> I have tested Xinsides X-Server and a few other programs and have had no
> problems or core dumps or anything of that nature.

Kewl.

> I guess the install also updated my mt program, but I cannot get the
> 'retension' command to work.  I get an unknown command error. Is there an
> update to this, as I have seen E-mail about this command posted?

Can't say on mt.  We had enough problems getting dump working on my
friend's machine.

> Should I upgrade all my ports to the 2.1 versions or is it okay to use the
> 2.05 ports I originally installed?

No, the old ports will still work.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant