Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:24:17 -0400
From:      "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>
To:        "Shane Ambler" <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg will not upgrade

On Mon, October 29, 2018 21:47, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 30/10/18 5:45 am, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>> In a Freebsd-11.1p15 jail I am trying to upgrade the packages.
>> However
>>
>> pkg upgrade
. . .
>> pkg: cached package clamav-0.100.2: size mismatch, fetching from
>> remote
. . .
>> pkg: cached package clamav-0.100.2: size mismatch, cannot continue
>>
>> I have already cleared the cache.  What is going on?  If I try to
>
> mx31.harte-lyne.ca would be your local pkg repo build
> machine? The size mismatch would indicate that either its
> pkg database is incorrect or it is still in the process of
> building the packages and hasn't got to update its database yet.
>
>> update pkg itself then I get a warning that the kernel required for
>> the update is higher than the one running the jail; so don't do
>> that.
>>

> Your jail is running 11.1 and your pkgs are built for -- 11.2?
> or is in the process of rebuilding for 11.2.

What happened , twice, is that in preparation for moving to 11.2 I
first updated the base OS to 11.1p15 and then ran pkg upgrade after
restarting.  There seems to be some anomaly introduced by update
process.  For systems not yet on 11.1p15 if I run pkg upgrade then
there is nothing to upgrade.  Once I update to p15 and restart then
there are lots of packages to upgrade but I inevitably get a cache
error when I attempt to.

The only fix that I have found is to update the base os to 11.2.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@Harte-Lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3