Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:53:16 +0930
From:      Andrew Hodges <ahodges@tbs.com.au>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Cyclades configuration

Hi,
I have a problem configuring my Cyclades Ye card 16 port. I have added
a couple of requests to the Usenet group on this but have had no
as yet.

Briefly, I have cruised through the mail list search and looked at
numerous articles
asking similar questions, have looked at the cyclades.sgml handbook
entry, the
cy man page but I don't feel confident in what I read.

I have installed the Cyclades card, rebuilt the kernel and at boot time
the
card is "seen" at the appropriate settings etc. This leaves me with the
/dev/.MAKEDEV to make the devices. I have noted several incantations
on this using a small script (can't remember it at present but I do
recall that
one version I read about has devices from 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e
and the other suggests 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 .

I tried the script and it went away and made a huge number of devices
for each
physical port. I deleted them and tried ./MAKEDEV cuaac0 ttyc0 (not sure
if
I have remebered the right devices in this mail, but I used the example
in the
handbook) and it made, once again a large number of devices. I have a
feeling
that something is wrong here. I also noted a mail message in this list
about additional
devices created, but did not see the resolution.

Can anybody advise me what the correct incantation should be, if I am
doing
something wrong, or if there is a problem with ./MAKEDEV etc.

regards

Andrew Hodges

Ph  +61 8 8941 8050
Fax +61 8 8941 8075