Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:58:35 +0100
From:      "Stewart Morgan" <stewart@nameless-uk.com>
To:        "'Gordon Tetlow'" <gordont@gnf.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   RE: PANIC in FFS -- Please HELP! [resolved]

> I feel obligated to point out the warning from
/etc/defaults/make.conf:

> # CFLAGS controls the compiler settings used when compiling C code.
> # Note that optimization settings above -O (-O2, ...) are not
recommended
> # or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please revert
any
> # nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" before submitting bug
reports
> # to the developers.
>
> Please try your setup with the a "normal" CFLAGS (ie -O -pipe) and
then
> see if you get a reproducible panic. If you do, then report it to the
> mailing list. Otherwise, you are a victim of a *known* bad code
optimizer
> which you were warned about.
>
> -gordon

	*blush* For some reason, I keep forgetting that all -O* does is
to define the various -f* entries.  *sigh*  More coffee required :)

	Does anybody know which, if any, optimisations actually work
with _no_ ill effects?  I guess the -march and -mcpu  options are safe?
Otherwise, why are they in -stable.  But the others?

Stewart.