Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 2002 11:07:53 -0800
From:      Kurt Bigler <kkb@breathhost.net>
To:        Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: email addresses used for lists [was: L0phtcrack]

on 12/24/02 3:53 AM, Rob O'Donnell <robert@aphnet.co.uk> wrote:

> At 15:46 23/12/2002 -0800, Kurt Bigler wrote:
>> on 12/23/02 3:34 PM, Kenzo <kenzo_chin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And for using hotmail account....Computer 101, never
>>> use your real or company e-mail address to post on forums,  just attracks
>>> crackers.
>>
>> I currently create a new email address for every category of mailing list
>> that I join.
>
> For web use, I use a throw-away free-ISP account (which lets me pop mail from
> anywhere!)  which hands out email addresses in the form
> anything@account.isp.co.uk
> - whenever a web sites asks me for an email address, I use their domain name
> in front of the @ - nothing to set up my end, and I know immediately whenever
> I get spam through that isp which web site gave it out.  (Thank you,
> Paltalk..)

Well that's an interesting idea.  Throw-away subdomains (excuse my
terminology - maybe I'm supposed to call them host names?) imply a whole
"host" of email addresses without wasting a domain name.

I have never implemented email at a subdomain.  Can most virtual domain mail
servers handle addr@foo.domain.com just as easily as addr@domain.com?

If so, I might start "providing" myself (and others too) such options.  Will
qmail+vpopmail do this transparently?  Is it just a matter of the domain
name containing another "." as far as qmail+vpopmail is concerned?

Or should I avoid giving further exposure to the domain name by creating
subdomains under it?  In that case I can register one more domain name just
for this purpose.  Presumably it is not a problem that it is hosted on the
same server.?

Only problem I see is I use webmail.domain.com for webmail access at domain.
I guess I will have to find out whether zoneedit.com will let me set up DNS
such that webmail.foo.domain.com can work.  (Getting really OT now - I'll
ask zoneedit about this.)

Thanks,
Kurt Bigler