Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:22:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jdp@polstra.com, dg@root.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF ABI tagging

>  > That's actually supposed to be a feature: it is not permitted to have
>  > more than one ABI.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not really practical.

For the people who define the ABI in the first place, or for the
follow-on people (like us) who want to tweak it?

Seriously, there's no real reson an ABI could not be standardized
other than everyone wants to be the one to define the thing and
thinks everyone else should follow the trail that they beat.

Frankly, I have little sympathy for the forces which have caused
me to be unable to run an x86 UNIX binary on any UNIX or UNIX clone
system, regardless of vendor.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---