Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:19:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Timothy P. Sparks" <Timothy.Sparks@GDEsystems.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release Notes 2.1, Ref Hard Drives/Controllers`

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Timothy P. Sparks wrote:

> > Not a problem.  There are some IDE controllers (notably the Promise 2300
> > series) that flat out don't work, though.  Best way is to try.
>
> Do you mean that I should go ahead and boot the system using the "-c" option
> and specify the existing hardware and disable the stuff that I don't have?

Yeah.  Just install it.  You'll know if something goes wrong.

> > What controller does this machine have?  Is this the machine given above?
> >
>   The system is a run of the mill generic PCI motherboard with a built-in
> EIDE controller. The book that came with the motherboard does not specify
> whose controller design they used. I think the board was built in China(Oh
> joy!). The BIOS is Award. I don't recall the version but I just bought the
> componets a couple weeks ago. The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar
> WDAC31600 1.6GB IDE. The computer has 16 MB RAM, a 3.5 in floppy drive,
> a monochrome monitor & card(w/unused parallel port) and an SMC 8216
> ethernet adapter hardware configured for  irq 10, 340, d8000. When I swap
> out the 1.6G dirve for an 80M drive and boot to dos(CMOS configured
> appropriately) everything works fine. With the 1.6G drive installed, the
> CMOS sees it during post, only the UNIX passes it by. As I said before,
> the motherboard, CPU, memory, floppy drive and hard drive are all right
> out of the shrink wrap. Do I have to put a partition on the hard drive
> like I do for dos or does the bsd take care of that?

Strange.  Does a DOS boot floppy see the drive too?  You can try
formatting it and see if it really works.

> > Can we see the boot messages, specifically for the wdc0 device?

> ed0 not found at 0x280
> ed1: failed to clear shared memory at d8002 - check configuration
> ed1 not found at 0x300

You will want to fix this by disabling it.  In fact disable anything
that's not installed in the system.

> wdc0 not found at 0x1f0
> wdc1 not found at 0x170

This is a problem.  It may be related to the problem above.  Not sure.

> chip0 <Intel 82437 (TRITON)> rev 2 on pci 0:0
> chip1 <Intel 82371 (TRITON)> rev 2 on pci 0:7

You have a Triton motherboard.

>   Finally, If all else fails, I was wondering if you know of a PCI EIDE
> controller that is known to work.  I just would rather not spend all the
> money on a SCSI hardware unless/until I absolutely have to.

The CMD 0640X-based stuff works great.  That is what is on my SiS
motherboard and it works great.