Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:10:27 -0500
From:      Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: twe driver, 1+ terabyte array, fdisk and disklabel

On 13 Aug 2003, Brooks Davis wrote:
> My workaround was to split the array into a 2 disk RAID1 and a 6 disk
> RAID5.  Sysinstall will install on the small mirror and then you can use
> the RAID5 array raw.  On some other systems, I'm not going to be booting
> from the arrays so I'll use the entire array as a large RAID5 volume
> without any partions.

	Duh.  I should have thought of something along these
lines.  I just left my 1.75GB RAID-5 array in place and only took
a few gigabytes out of it for slice 1.  Then I installed
everything into that for the base system.  Worked like a charm.

	Next I went ahead post installation and did cvsup and used
fdisk and disklabel (outside sysinstall of course) to create the
current, ridiculous slice and partition.  Yay.  :)
---
/dev/twed0s2a   1.5T   2.0K   1.5T     0%    /data

	Which reminds me, any chance of putting in more useful
information to fdisk and disklabel from the command line?  I had
to fire up sysinstall just to figure out all the sector
boundaries and sizes.  What a pain!  :)

	Anyway, thanks for the feedback.  My brain was elsewhere.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy@tamu.edu

---begin random quote of the moment---
"Do you believe in destiny, that even the powers of time can be
ordered to a single purpose?  The luckiest man who walks this
earth is the one who finds true love."

 -- Dracula, "Bram Stoker's Dracula", 1992
----end random quote of the moment----