Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:06:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        ache@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   elm and charset header

Hello!

I've been using elm on different OSes for some time.
Starting from some version (I am currently using ELM 2.4ME+ PL61 (25) on
FreeBSD-3.*), elm stopped showing messages that have
that is not the one specified as "charset" or "displaycharset" in elmrc.
E.g. If I have it as ISO-8859-1, I am not able to see Windows-1252

One possibility is to set the value of compatcharsets so,
it would show the message, while saying something like
"[Charset Windows-1252 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]"

However, the problem is that
1. I can't specify all possible variations (including X-Unknown)
2. If the list is too long, elm complains and doesn't start:
Value of "compatcharsets" in line 91 in ".elm/elmrc" file is too long
Fix .elm/elmrc or let elm rebuild elmrc with option '-w'

Any suggestions ?
(I do not want to use metamail)
May be an option could be implemented that would allow
elm to show the first half of ASCII table dependless of the "charset" variable ?

Thanks,

Igor