Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 15:26:01 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Walid Nehme <walidn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        luigi@iet.unipi.it, freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Traffic shape quistion [was: Plz help as much as u can.]

Hello Walid,

Friday, May 10, 2002, 2:34:27 PM, you wrote:

WN> Dear sir.
WN> I found ur email in man dummynet, and need ur help.
WN> I have 3 download satellites and a microwave connection,
WN> providing internet to a huge number of users.

WN> i want to make shapping for the traffic to control my
WN> outbound and inbound.
WN> the problem is that my outbound is 128kbit/s and when many
WN> users chat or send files my network stop working.
WN> i read many documents about dummy and couldnt find any
WN> theory that help me assigning the delay and queue so that
WN> my network will work smooth, even i couldnt understand what
WN> delay and queue are used for.

Delay and droprate can be used to simulate existing lines. You don't
wanna use this.

WN> my firewall rules are.

WN> ipfw add pipe 1 ip from 10.20.0.0/16 to any out
WN> ipfw add pipe 2 ip from any to 10.20.0.0/16  in
WN> ipfw pipe 1 config bw 3 KBytes/s
WN> ipfw pipe 2 config bw 40 KBytes/s

This says all users use the same pipe. You want something like this:

ipfw add pipe 1 ip from 192.168.2.0/24 to any out
ipfw add pipe 2 ip from any to 192.168.2.0/24 in
ipfw pipe 1 config mask src-ip 0x000000ff bw 200Kbit/s queue 20Kbytes
ipfw pipe 2 config mask dst-ip 0x000000ff bw 200Kbit/s queue 20Kbytes

For more info: man ipfw

--
Best regards,
Alex

*** Links ***
How to get the best results from FreeBSD questions.
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html