Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:08:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Mit Rowe <mitayai@dreamlabs.com>
Cc:        "security@FreeBSD. ORG" <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: denial of service attack

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Mit Rowe wrote:

> If i read this correctly, i'm under a denial of service attack.
>
> A few questions...
>
> 1) am i correct
> 2) if so, how can i trace where it is coming from?
> 3) how can i compensate?
>
> Dec 28 15:39:50 <kern.crit> tenchi /kernel: Limiting icmp unreach response
> from 323 to 200 packets per second

You're just being nmap'd, nothing serious.  If you want to track the scan,
install an IDS like nessus or something.

Before you do that, though, I suggest that you upgrade to 4.4-stable;
the vulnerabilities in whatever ancient version of freebsd you're running
shoud worry you more than the portscan.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack