Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:18:43 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd vs ports sshd

At 2002-07-10 21:23:16+0000, Helge Oldach writes:
> Mike Jakubik:
> >In no way am I saying that curtail services like syslogd or inetd should be
> >taken out. But things like openssh, sendmail, certain libs, and basically
> >most software that is available and up to date via the ports.
>
> No, it shouldn't. I want a full-function system with a decent MTA, a
> decent secure login facility, a decent time synchronization facility, a
> decent nameserver, and so on. I *don't* want a base system that isn't
> good for anything but eating CPU.
>
> [...]

It seems to me that everyone would appreciate a system delivered as a
number of packages of some sort.  Then if you wanted a system like the
current release, you would install 'base', 'base-openssh',
'base-sendmail', 'base-bind' etc.  The default install option in
sysinstall would do all this, and so would "make installworld".  If
you want a more current SSH (say) you use a custom install option in
sysinstall, or options to "make installworld" (e.g. in make.conf), or
you _uninstall_ 'base-openssh', then you install the 'openssh-4.5q'
package (or whatever).

In fact, 'base' itself could potentially be rather tiny (does it need
to include gcc, or perl)?

I seem to recall, from the last time we went around this subject on
-stable, that there is at least one project working on making this
happen (possibly called "libh").  If you want this enough to gripe
about it on -stable, maybe you want it enough to find out what the
project is and help out.

Nick Barnes
Ravenbrook Limited