Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 20:02:13 -0700
From:      Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

On Sunday, July 7, 2002, at 06:59 PM, Mark Valentine wrote:
>> 1) Allows random access AND compression
>
> At the expense of having to seek to the end first?  What about access
> to the
> metadata over a slow data stream, like you might have got with tar
> --fast-read?

Having to seek to the end is, indeed, one of the major draw-backs of
zip.  I have no idea why the originators, in their infinite wisdom, put
it there.

I also don't much like the red hat approach of concocting a totally new
archive format, however, even if its an agglomeration of an existing
archive format.  Perhaps Garrett's pax recommendation has more merit
than we thought, unless people have other candidates to put forward.

- Jordan