Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 05:43:33 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        "Peter Leftwich" <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86 4.2.0 /etc/ttys ?

ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv3	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv4	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv5	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv6	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
ttyv7	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25	on  secure
#ttyv8	"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"	xterm	off secure
ttyv8	"/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon"	kterm	off secure

You can read about it in a couple of places:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#XDM-BOOT

You can read about my trials and tribulations trying to get xdm/gdm/kdm
running in yesterday's entry in my weblog (see .sig).

>And what's all this I hear about CTRL-Alt-F# to change from console to X?

When you are in at a console, Alt-F# switches to that console. When you
are in X, Ctrl-Alt-F# switches to that console, with the caveat being that,
in my case for example, F9 is ttyv8, the "X console". So whenever I swap
to there, I go into my X environment.

>And what's this I hear about using wrapper if you are non-root?  Once

I think in a normal, effective install, this all happens automagically.

>the startx script or the XFree86 binary is run from the command line, is
>the user taken automatically into a GUI environment, or must the user then
>*change* to the virtual console/screen on which the X-server is running?

When you do startx, you jump right into the X console.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog: