Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 14:38:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        steffi@DGS.dgsys.com (Robert Nicholson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minimalistic configuration?

Robert Nicholson writes:

> OK I've decided to make my 4GIG drive a DATA drive rather than an OS
> drive. This makes a lot more sense since then I won't get burned by the 4
> primary parititons only limit. So, I plan to have my 1GIG like this.
>
> DOS 32 MEG
> NeXTSTEP 512
> WINDOWS 95 100
> WINDOWS NT 200
> FreeBSD ?
>
> I think I might change this actually in order to give myself more FreeBSD
> space.

This won't work.  You can have a maximum of 4 partitions in a
partition table.

> Perhaps something like
>
> DOS 32 MEG
> NeXTSTEP 512
> FreeBSD 350
> Windows 95 100
>
> Put NT on another disk since it will boot off another drive as will
> FreeBSD so I believe.

That looks better.  I don't know how to boot NT, so I can't comment on
that.

> I don't necessarily require my swap partition on another drive so perhaps
> 350 is more acceptable for a basic installation (with X11R6 BTW)?
>
> So I'd like to ask if 350 is enough to include swap and have XFree
> installed for use with Accelerated X and like I said I'll just add
> everything else via /usr/local on a different drive.

That should be OK.  I regularly install FreeBSD on 200 MB disks, and
there's space left over.  Of course, the real question is how much of
your own stuff you want to put on the disk.

> 	If I wish to create a 1GIG filesystem on my 4GIG for FreeBSD will
> I be required to write a disktab entry?

I assume that your 4 gig disk is SCSI (I haven't heard of EIDE that
big).  In that case, you don't have to worry about anything, just run
the installation.

Greg