Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 21:23:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        koshy@india.hp.com (A JOSEPH KOSHY)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump / kernel dropping packets

> Hi,
>
> I was testing my network driver and found that `tcpdump' was experiencing
> a very high packet drop rate.
This is normal

> If I run "tcpdump" without the "-n" option, I find (a) the output on
> screen is `bursty' with long periods of silence (b) at the end of the run
> tcpdump reports typically 90% of the packets "dropped by kernel".
 everything backs up while tcpdump is trying to resolve a name that needs
to be remotely looked up.

> If I run "tcpdump" with the "-n" option (no resolving of IP addresses)
> it runs with a much smaller loss percentage (but still != 0).
of course, there are no lookups to do...

> I'd like to know if this behaviour is normal or whether there is something
> wrong with my network setup (read: my driver :)).
normal.

> If normal, what can I do reduce packet loss (eg if FreeBSD is to be the basis
> for a network analyser tool?).

save the packets to disk  and analyse them offline.
(use tcpdump -w filename
and tcpdump -r (options) filename

> I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.0-R on an 8MB P90 IDE system.  The network card is
> an HPPCLan+ with "if_ed.c" hacked up to support it.  The driver is otherwise
> stable and has been working well for a month now.  I'm trying to tune/improve
> performance at the moment.
it would be better for offline analysis if you used scsi
because the heavy use of CPU in IDE might still cause a few lost packets,
but hopefully not too many.

> On this topic, I'd appreciate any pointers on how to measure the effectiveness
> of ethernet drivers (short of requiring special purpose hardware to be used).
> I'd like to know if I'm dropping packets, sending out too many packets,
> munging the network etc.

good question...
ping a reliable host?