Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 03:56:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Lanny Baron <beef@cybertouch.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, support@cdrom.com
Subject:   /usr filling up..

  	Hello,

	I have installed 2.2.6 and my /usr was at 94%. I was given some help last night on
IRC by jkh telling me to make clean /usr/ports. I did that and am now at 85% in /usr. I have
installed "all" when I originally installed via /stand/sysinstall. However I can see that
there are many things which in all likely hood, I will not need.

	I am extremely happy with this version and setup of FreeBSD 2.2.6 and do not want to
destroy and reinstall. Can someone tell me what I can (and how to go about it properly),
remove from /usr/src (i do rebuild my kernel sometimes) and in /usr/X11R6. Below is the
summary for du -sk * in /usr/X11R6

cybertouch# cd /usr/X11R6
cybertouch# du -sk *
74918   bin
2       etc
953     icons
4467    include
1       info
60771   lib
1       libexec
2851    man
136     share
78436   src

the summary below is for /usr
cybertouch# cd /usr
cybertouch# du -sk *
222537  X11R6
11134   bin
1       compat
1670    games
3753    include
12347   lib
68      libdata
4771    libexec
188235  local
101     mdec
1       obj
48232   ports
3749    sbin
29916   share
147083  src
1       tmp

the summary below is for /usr/local

cybertouch# cd /usr/local
cybertouch# du -sk *
343     apsfilter
26974   bin
45      cgi-bin
571     etc
1990    include
7865    info
40330   lib
441     libexec
3048    man
826     sbin
105702  share
99      www

and finally /usr/src

cybertouch# cd /usr/src
cybertouch# du -sk *
4       COPYRIGHT
5       CVS
23      Makefile
3       README
2490    bin
49098   contrib
315     etc
7224    games
13952   gnu
494     include
113     kerberosIV
11810   lib
1358    libexec
130     lkm
919     release
2225    sbin
673     secure
9265    share
22628   sys
11078   usr.bin
13275   usr.sbin

	Thank you so much in advance for any help in which you may provide to me.

-Lanny

*         Lanny Baron                 *  In the Beginning He Said "Let there be Light"
|   Have you had your BEEF today?     |  He saw it was good. A few days later He said
|      http://www.tht.net/~beef       |  "Let there be computers for mankind" And the
*                                     *  PC was made. He then turned on His heavenly
|  Want a great operating system?     |	 pc and the heavenly monitor displayed
|  try FreeBSD, it's remarkable!      |  "Welcome to FreeBSD" And he jumped for joy.
*     http://www.FreeBSD.org	      *