Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 14:52:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS guru's only

Ollivier Robert stands accused of saying:
> According to Julian Elischer:
> > ok, so I have a branch on the cvs tree
> > (say called RELENG_2_2)
> > and I want to check out that branch as it was on Dec 25 1996.
> > HOW DO I DO THAT?
>
> I'd say:
>
> cvs co -r RELENG_2_2 -D '12/25/96 00:00 PST' src
>
> The tag will be sticky (i.e. will be retained through cvs update).

The -r and -D options are mutually exclusive, and the sticky tags
applied by checking out with -r come "unstuck" if you do an update
with -D.

I was trying to do this last night, to get a RELENG_2_2 kernel source
tree in sync with an old machine.  I ended up throwing it in and
digging up the MO with the release we used on it, but that's not
really acceptable for future work.  CD burner ho!

(I understand that CVS can't actually manage this.  Maybe you could
trick CVSup into doing it?)