Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 1996 11:06:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nicolas Souchu <Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        n_melhor@Telebit.COM
Subject:   Installing parallel port IOMega ZIP drive?

>      I just got an IOMega parallel port ZIP drive (100 MEG,
>      dismountable) and installed it on my DOS/Windows and OS/2 systems.
>      It wasn't easy on OS/2, but it went OK. I then started to install
>      it on my FreeBSD system. Some information sources (any others?):
>
>       http://www.torque.net/zip.html  {mostly Linux ->}
>       http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html {FreeBSD ->}
>       http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.c {the source}
>
>      This source is a port from Linux, and probably hasn't seen HEAVY

You're probably the first user of this stuff. Thanks.

>      use. However, I was willing to take a try.  This source describes
>      how it should be incorporated. I modified the MY_MACHINE and
>      files.386 files and started a build. I got a compile error on
>      ppa3.c, and had to replace all int32 with int32_t and all u_int32
>      with u_int32_t. It built then.

This is surely because you're system release is greater than mine.
(2.1-960627-SNAP > 2.1.0-RELEASE). I'll fix it - thanks.

>      First, I found that the parallel port address they'd suggested
>      (0x278) was wrong for me, and I needed 0x378 -- which I got from
>      an old 'dmesg' output for LPR1.
>
>      Now it works. It identifies my device, and I can read it (I
>      haven't tried writing yet, but I think it'll go).
>
>      However, I find that it takes a LONG time to do the initial device
>      probes. Since the ppa interface is SCSI-ish, I thought the
>      SCSI_DELAY might change this. I reduced it from its original 15
>      seconds (it seemed MUCH longer) to 5. On reboot, probing now took
>      about 2 minutes! I changed it back to 15 seconds.

The target number of the drive is 6 on the scsi bus. Thus, when
attaching devices, 7 targets are probed... it takes a while.
SCSI_DELAY is NOT defined in my MACHINE configuration file. Try
without it. However, I'll have a look to SCSI_DELAY = 5.

nicolas

--
Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr
Laboratoire PRiSM - Versailles, FRANCE