Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:49:08 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Mike Tancsa" <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org, erich@areca.com.tw, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GIANT in arcmsr(4)

On 7/31/06, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
> At 07:13 AM 30/07/2006, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> >On 7/29/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Anyone know why the giant is in arcmsr(4) or how to kill him?
> >>

> >I did some work on the arcmsr(4) driver:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=101045
> >

> Is not the driver from the Areca site just plugin compatible ?  I
> havent updated my Areca boxes in a bit, but I recall just dropping
> the source code in place of what was there and recompiling.  I was
> also told by Areca to make sure I had the latest firmware at the time
> too.

I don't know but I do know it won't compile if you just dropped it in,
I had to fix a few syntax errors:

> diff arcmsr.h.1200012 arcmsr.h.freebsd.new
36a37
> ** $FreeBSD$
112c113
< #define dma_addr_hi32(addr)
                         (u_int32_t) ((addr>>16)>>16
---
> #define dma_addr_hi32(addr)                                                                   (u_int32_t) ((addr>>16)>>16)
518,519c519,520
<       u_int32_t                               num_resets
<       u_int32_t                           num_aborts
---
>       u_int32_t                       num_resets;
>       u_int32_t                       num_aborts;
523c524
<       u_int32_t                       firm_ide_channels;
        /*4,16-19*
---
>       u_int32_t                       firm_ide_channels;                     /*4,16-19*/

I asked the Areca people what their plans were for the driver
> on the website and they said they submitted the driver to be merged
> into the tree, but either didnt email the right people, or no one had
> time to do the merge/import.  Perhaps Scott Long knows ?
>
>          ---Mike

CC'd Erich Chen, the person who made the driver.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/