Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:17:57 -0500
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   really strange problem - extracting X turns my system off, literally

Hi,

I'm bewildered and looking for clues ...

I'm running -current, cvsup'd and rebuild world as of yesterday:

FreeBSD stage.bsdhome.com 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Sun Nov 12 18:30:15 EST 2000     bsd@stage.bsdhome.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I went to install X from Ports and during extraction, my system just
turned itself off!  Not reboot, mind you, it powered down.

I use a serial console so I would be able to tell if any messages
printed out just before that final event, but there's nothing.
Nothing in /var/log/messages either.

Here are the last few messages of the X install via ports:

	[root@stage]:/XFree86- make install
	===>  Extracting for XFree86-3.3.6_4
	>> Checksum OK for xc/X336src-1.tgz.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/X336src-2.tgz.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/fix-01-r128.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/fix-04-s3trio3d2x.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/fix-05-s3trio3d.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/fix-06-s3trio3d2x.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/fix-07-s3trio64v2gx+netfinity.
	>> Checksum OK for xc/fix-08-s3savage_ix+mx.

	[extract for a minute or two, then powerdown]

So, I rebuild my world, reboot and try again ... it powered down at
the exact same spot!

Any ideas?  Note that this machine has successfully been completing
buildworld/kernel installkernel/world's for the last several months.

Thanks,
-Brian