Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:29:55 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        francis yeung <fyeung@netific.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd-current: make world error

> 	The latest version of FreeBSD-current gives

If you're running FreeBSD-current, you *must* read the freebsd-current
mailing list.

> 	cc -O -c libmain.c -o libmain.o
> 	ld: invalid command option `-O'
> 	*** Error code 1

This is because the ld in -current has been upgraded and you need to
re-compile ld before you can do a 'make world'.  This has been explained
several times on the current mailing list.

> 	In addition, I have to do
>
> 	make -DNOCLEANDIR world
>
> 		because of cleandir error.

I haven't seen this, but there's probably some other bootstrapping you
need to do.  -current has diverged quite considerably from 2.1.0/5
and it's not just a case of typing 'make world' and waiting for
everything to effortlessly upgrade itself.

I would recommend going to the searchable mail list archives under
http://www.freebsd.org/ and having a browse through some of the recent
posts on freebsd-current.