Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:18:14 +0200
From:      "Marco Berizzi" <pupilla@hotmail.com>
To:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: block device vs char device

Hi Hiten,

Thanks for the reply about char & block devices.
Now all is much more clean.

About cd, handbook reports:

Suppose you add the IDE CD-ROM support to the
kernel. The line to add is:

    device acd0

This means that you should look for some entries
that start with acd0 in the /dev directory, possibly
followed by a letter, such as c, or preceded by the
letter r, which means a ``raw'' device. It turns out
that those files are not there, so you must change
to the /dev directory and type:

    # sh MAKEDEV acd0

When this script finishes, you will find that there
are now acd0c and racd0c entries in /dev so you know
that it executed correctly.

I haven't found anything about the difference
between cd0a & cd0c.
Any hints?