Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:33:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: deX OErrs on crossed link.

David Gilbert wrote:
> I've been trying a number of different ethernet configurations
> out... and at first I was willing to accept that the cable may have
> been at fault.  However, Now that I have had the chance for further
> experimentation, it appears that it may not.
>
> I am using the 4-port DLink adapter (uses tulip chips) on the server
> and currently intel fxp0 chips on the clients.  With this setup, I get
> a huge number of OErrs on the deX interface (nothing shows on the fxp0
> on the other end).  If I use an fxp in the server, no errors... and I
> have tried a variety of handmade and professionally-made cables to
> join them.
>
> I have even tried shutting down full-duplex... doesn't help.

Someone else, just yesterday, posted the a similar problem on
the -stable list.  He was using a 4-port ZNYX card (de driver
also).  With the de driver in -stable, he got a huge number of
output errors, but no errors on input.  Using the ZNYX supplied
driver for FreeBSD instead of de, the problem didn't exist.

FWIW, I'm using a 4-port ZNYX card with the stock de driver on
3.3-stable without any problems - 10BaseT and 100BaseT, both
at half-duplex.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com