Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:59:58 -0500
From:      Will Maier <willmaier@ml1.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Perl 5.8.7 port requires libm.so.4

*-

I'm running a ~2 days old FreeBSD 5.3-SECURITY install; I'm still getting my
feet wet with FreeBSD. Here's the process I've been using to keep my ports
tree up-to-date:
    # portsnap fetch
    # portsnap update
    # make fetchindex
    # portsdb -u
    # portupgrade -varRPP

I've also been reading /u/p/UPDATING before actually running portupgrade;
today I noticed that the Perl 5.8.6->5.8.7 upgrade required running a script
afterwards. I then ran portupgrade, which updated Perl, Ruby and some other
ports. It failed on firefox and gtk20, however, because it couldn't find
libm.so.4.

I then tried to run perl-after-upgrade, but the Perl interpreter won't run
because it can't find libm.so.4 either. Symlinking /l/libm.so.3 ->
/l/libm.so.4 gets rid of the error, but then the interpreter complains about a
crypt library...symlinking each of the required libs seems a) unlikely to be a
good solution in the end and b) hackish, plus I'm not even sure it *really*
makes the interpreter any happier.

Have I missed some important step? The OS itself is kept up-to-date using
freebsd-update, although I don't *think* this would affect eg Perl.

Thanks much!

--

[Will Maier]---------------[willmaier@ml1.net/wcmaier@jabber.ccc.de]