Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:25:14 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: i386 a.out LKM support now an option..

As of a few minutes ago, I committed some changes that:
1: make the LKM code use the common VFS and syscall registration routines
2: make an 'options LKM' option.
3: build an 'lkm' loadable kld module

This means that if you are still using an a.out kernel and are loading
LKM's specifically, you either need to add 'options LKM' to your config,
or do a 'kldload lkm' to load the /dev/lkm support routines.

I have not added 'options LKM' to GENERIC.. Please bear in mind that new
installations are 100% ELF, including the kernel and the LKM support has
zero use there.

FreeBSD no longer supplies LKM's, but it is still possible to build your
own from source...

However, the thought has occurred on many occasions that it might be an
idea to make a stand on this and remove the LKM build support.  It will
clean up a few interfaces.  If this doesn't happen for 3.1, it's definately
on my agenda for after the branch.  Converting the common LKM's to kld
modules is pretty easy, and even the ones with custom load/unload code are
not too hard.  I'd be interested to get a feeling for whether this should
be done for 3.1 or later.  (Remember, OSS have a KLD version now for 3.0).

Cheers,
-Peter