Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:26:54 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "franzschmalzl@spamfreemail.de" <franzschmalzl@spamfreemail.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: first revision macbook pro

franzschmalzl@spamfreemail.de wrote:
> hello
> i have a first revision macbook pro (core duo 2ghz, not core 2 duo!)
> i have sort of a problem here
> freebsd 6.2 and 7.0 current (5 feb.) don't really boot correctly
> i get:
> AP #1 (PHY# 1) failed!
> panic y/n? [y]
>
> sometimes i get around this problem if i press the power button in the
> exact right moment.
> yesterday i built my own kernel without APIC and SMP support
> at least now it boots 100% of the time
> but i'd like to use both of my cores
> network card doesn't work either...

The SMP issue is going to take a bit of work to get past.  However, you
need to have APIC turned on in order for everything else to work right.
So for now, put the following into /boot/loader.conf:

kern.smp.disabled=1

This can also be manually entered from the boot menu so you can install
from a normal CD.

Scott