Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 03:11:03 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> types:
> > The machines came with an OS called PC-DOS. You could also get
> > CP/M-86, the 8086 version of the previous dominant OS, but it cost
> > extra without providing any extra functionality. PC-DOS came from
> > MSFT. IBM had apparently wanted to purchase it outright, but Gates
> > convinced them to pay a percentage instead. In doing so, Gates stole
> > the revolution from IBM.
> CP/M-88 and MP/M-88.  The 86 was later.

You sure about those OSs? I don't recall ever seeing a CP/M-88, or
MP/M for anything but 8080 based cpus. Looking through the Digital
Research archives turns up things as obscure as CP/M-68K and CP/NET,
but nothing for either CP/M-88 or MP/M-88. Since the 8086 predated the
8088 - the 8088 being an 8086 with an 8 bit external bus - it seems
unlikely that DRI would have done the 8088 version first. Especially
since 8088 hardware could run CP/M-86.

	<mike