Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 19:48:56 -0700
From:      Brad Karp <bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu>
To:        insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fix for Linksys access point

insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net writes:
> Does this effect when you are running a Linksys card with a Linksys AP.

I don't have a Linksys card to test with, so I cannot give an answer based
on empirical observation.

However, the fix I mention (adding an || such that wi_status 0 packets are
also RFC1042-decapsulated) *shouldn't* hurt. If the Linksys card sees the
packets as wi_status 0x2000 (the correct wi_status value for an RFC1042
packet), the extra or clause won't matter, and the packet will still be
RFC1042 decapsulated.

The only harm the change could do is if there is some card out there that
receives *non*-RFC1042 packets with wi_status 0. But since I can't find
any mention of wi_status 0 as a valid value in any driver (Linux or FreeBSD),
I suspect there aren't any such packets (i.e., there shouldn't be any from
the Linksys AP, either, but its firmware generates packets that elicit this
status value from the Hermes).

-Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu