Date:      Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:09:53 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Andy Zammy <andyzammy@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dynamic Window Manager install with patch(es)

--------------enigFB9AF7587EA8C372C7B4B24A

On 22/09/2011 11:21, Andy Zammy wrote:
> File to patch: files/patch-defaultopacity
> No file found--skip this patch? [n] n
> File to patch: /usr/home/user/Downloads/dwm.defaultopacity.patch
> patch: **** malformed patch at line 9: @@ -52,6 +54,9 @@
> =3D> Patch patch-defaultopacity failed to apply cleanly.

Um.. when it says 'file to patch', it means it wants the name of a file
to apply the patch /to/, not the file to read the patch /from/.  There
are some requirements about relative paths in the diff file that I
entirely glossed over when I mentioned adding patches to the files
directory; unfortunately not all patches will 'just work' (tm).

[[ Do this next bit after unpacking the distfiles but before building
the port.  ie. after running these commands:

   # cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwm
   # make clean ; make extract

]]

For your purposes, first work out how to apply the patch by hand --
ie. running some variant of the command lines

   # cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwm/work
   # patch -p0 < ~/downloads/dwm.defaultopacity.patch

However, it seems the patch you've obtained is somehow corrupt.  If it's
not too long, you could post it here, or put it on the web somewhere for
people to look at (pastebin springs to mind).

Once the patch applies cleanly you should be able to continue with
building and installing the port as usual:

   # cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/dwm
   # make ; make install

If you want the low-down on adding patches to a port, start by reading
this section of the Porter's Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/slow-pa=
tch.html

Then take a look at the handy patchtool helper script in
/usr/ports/Tools/scripts/patchtool.py -- the README.patchtool file in
that directory will be more accessible if you aren't fluent in python.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3