Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:05:47 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's up with ownership?

> It seems to me that, even though it might be a bit more complex, files
> should not be created with a gid that you do not belong to by default.

A lot of BSD people would disagree with that statement :-)

> That by itself isn't such a big deal, but some programs (like mv(1))
> try to preserve the file's gid, and fail.

I agree that mv(1) should handle this more intelligently.

> Maybe mv(1) should have that particular message silenced, since it
> mostly superfluous anyway.  cp(1) with the -p option doesn't print a
> message if it can't preserve uid and gid in the destination, and the
> man page for mv(1) says that it uses rm(1) and cp(1) to move files
> across file-systems.

To be pedantic, the man page only says it has the same effect as using
rm(1) and cp(1). But yes, this behaviour is inconsistent IMHO and I've
submitted a patch to take out the warning.

> I just tested this, and mv(1) only complains
> when it is moving files, not directories, wonder why?

If you look at /usr/src/bin/mv/mv.c, you'll notice that it uses
different algorithms for moving files and directories across devices.

Finally, this message was brought to you by the left bracket, the
right bracket and the number 1. :-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk