Date:      Fri, 27 May 2011 10:53:31 +0200
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@bluelife.at>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VB 4.0.8 is working very well

On Mon, 23 May 2011 14:29:45 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I installed 4.0.8 this morning and it works very well. No problems at
> all to this point using FreeBSD as the host and Windows7 as guest. I
> may install Fedora a bit later.
>
> So far everything seems to be working very well. The issues I had with
> 4.0.4 are gone and there is USB support. (I have yet to try it, though.)
>
> One thing I realized quickly is that I didn't have VNC support. A small
> bit of looking made me realize that I needed to re-build with different
> config options and it is rebuilding now.
>
> I would suggest that you look at adding a config section to the wiki.
> While most options are pretty obvious, I had to look up VDE (don't need
> it) and I still don't know what 'Webservice' covers. (Not knowing, I
> didn't enable it.) It also does not even mention the virtualbox-ose-kmod
> port. I know it will be installed as a dependency, but it could easily
> be missed in an upgrade. Even in the handbook entry (which is looking a
> bit stale) the only option mentioned is GuestAdditions.
>
> I'm willing to re-work the handbook entry and submit it to whoever is
> appropriate and can add a 'config' section to the wiki if it's OK, once
> I know what all the options really mean.

How about fixing the option descriptions? I would be glad if some
native speaker could come up with better descriptions that fit into the
maximum length. For now I just try to describe what the options do:

QT4		QT4 frontend
DEBUG		Additional logging and a lot of asserts
DBUS		DBUS+HAL and we need this for Host CD/DVD access
PULSEAUDIO	PulseAudio sound output
X11		Provides an SDL frontend and is required for QT4 frontend
VDE		Virtual Distributed Ethernet driver (http://vde.sourceforge.net/)
VNC		VNC server support
WEBSERVICE	SOAP backend used by eg www/phpvirtualbox
NLS		NLS support for the QT4 frontend

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
http://www.bluelife.at/