Date:      Thu, 9 May 1996 20:13:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        Patrick Ferguson <patrick@chloe.dmv.com>
Cc:        Joel Kelmenson <joel@quicklink.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Multiple disks for news server?

On Thu, 9 May 1996, Patrick Ferguson wrote:

> On Wed May  1 15:34:52 1996 Joel Kelmenson wrote:
> >>I would like to thank everyone who replyed to my question
> >about the best setup for a news server.  All of your input
> >was most valuable.  This is a great forum!
> >
> >I try not to post any questions in this list unless I can't
> >find the answers from the archives from this list.
> >

> >        >Joe Greco wrote:>
> >        >Remember the golden news rule,
> >        >MORE DRIVES TRANSLATES INTO MORE THROUGHPUT.
> >        >You would rather have four 2GB Hawk
> >        >drives than two 4GB Barracuda's.
> >
> >My question is, how do I span the news over multiple disks.
> >
> >I have seen some answers to this but it was a little to tech.
> >for me to get a good understanding where to start.  If someone
> >could shed some light on this I would once again be very grateful.
> >
> >Examples would also be helpful, if possible.
[...]

The absolutely best thing to look at in this case is the INN Faq.  You can
get it from ftp.math.psu.edu in the /pub/INN directory, I think.  It
includes a cookbook example of converting a working INN to a working INN
spanned over multiple disks via symlinks, including the shell commands to
move the files from drive to drive.  Once your INN supports symlinks, it's
really pretty easy to get it to go from one drive to another.

The only thing to do before the example, if I remember correctly, would
get the drive up an running on FreeBSD as a single partition (slice?).

bryan

Bryan K. Ogawa
Questions or Problems with NetVoyage?  help@netvoyage.net
Check out the NetVoyage HelpWeb at..   <URL: http://www.netvoyage.net/~help/>;