Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 19:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        huntting@glarp.com
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing timezones

:When /etc/localtime changes (because the machine moves to a different
:timezone), how is one supposed keep up on current temporal events?
:
:I get the feeling tzset() and tzsetwall() should be checking to
:see if the timezone has changed since they were last called (they
:dont currently).
:
:Any thoughts?
:
:brad

    Well, you definitely don't want to rip the current timezone
    out from under a running program.  That could lead to a mess.
    I do occassionally notice timezone issues from long running
    programs such as sendmail and syslogd when I've forgotten
    to set the timezone in a new install, but I usually just
    reboot to ensure that everything has started from a clean
    slate.  It is also fairly easily to simply restart the
    effected servers.  I'm not sure an automated solution is really
    desireable.  Timezones generally never change except maybe
    on a laptop and laptops get powered up and down all the time
    anyway.

					    -Matt