Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:07:17 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Cc:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Foreign characters (Mainly Norsk) on a U.S. Keyboard...

Peter Losher writes:
>Yeah, I do get that, however, it would be more useful if I could just ad=
>the Norwegian characters to a copy of the us.iso.kbd (perhaps call it
>personal.kbd).  So to get a "a ring" I would do a 'ALT-!' and for a "o
>slash", a 'ALT-@', and so on.
>
>Is this possible?
>
>(BTW, thanks for your message!)

Install the xkeycaps port and use it to define a Mode_switch key
(I use End). With a Mode_switch as modifier you can map any key
to any character using xkeycaps. Then use xmodmap to load the new
keymap when you start X.

I have a US keyboard, but with the Mode_switch key in combination
with others I can input: =FC=F6=E4=DC=D6=C4=DF

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org