Date:      Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:58:18 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <matt@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gif interface not passing IPv6 packets

On 3 October 2011 21:42, Li, Qing <qing.li@bluecoat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw the thread but I was traveling the whole of last week, did not
> have a system to work on.
>
> The problem you encountered on gif was due to a bug in the IPv6 code.
>
> I believe have a patch but I need to do more testing. I will post it shortly.
>
> --Qing

Just to let you know that I was doing a lot of testing off of the
mailing list with Hiroki Sato and we basically discovered that I was
missing an alias on my lo0 interface. He first advised me to try
testing with adding a /126 to gif0 rather than a /128 which worked
successfully. Then he advised me to go back to the original
configuration but also run ifconfig lo0 2a01:348:6:45c::2/128 alias
which added the correct routes and resolved the problem. Whilst this
is a workaround it obviously doesn't resolve the actual root cause so
thank you if you come up with a patch.

I'm still really confused though why it worked before my power failure
and failed afterwards when as far as I'm aware nothing has changed on
the system.

I'll await the patch and test it out when you post it.

Regards, Matt.