Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 14:09:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      gvw@brainaid.oche.de (Guido von Walter)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   210R Install Feedback

Hi there!

I've just installed 2.1.0R and I'm quite happy with it (as expected).

But there are a few quirks in the installation process I'd like to
mention:

1. I boot my 2.0.5R system and OS/2 from the OS/2 Bootmanager. I installed
   210R to sd2 and told sysinstall not to touch the bootblock.
   Afterwards the bootmanager was deactivated, and the system booted the
   old 205R partition by default. Hmm.

2. The sd devices: The installation made the /dev entries for the new sd2
   devices (sd2s1e ...) and for the old partitions on sd0 (sd0s3e from the
   205r), but did not notice another FreeBSD partition on sd1. I made these
   entries with MAKEDEV later, no big deal, but possibly a problem for others.

3. Package installation. Selecting packages from a menu and having sysinstall
   fetching and installing applications is a great feature. But there is a
   major drawback: Dependencies are not handled by the tool. An example:
   select ghostscript and ghostview from the menu, usually you will mark
   ghostscript first. This means that ghostview will be installed first for
   some reason or other. pkg_add for ghostview will report an error because
   of the dependeny on ghostscript. sysinstall displays an error message.
   Press Enter. Proceed with ghostscript.
   This is especially annoying when installing from ftp over a slow line
   (V34 leased line). I had the basic installation run one night, selected
   packages in the morning, went to work, came back in the evening and
   had had about three packages done: Press Enter! Two more pkgs: Press
   Enter! This can take ages over a slow line!
   If I can't do anything about an error, why do I have to acknowledge it?
   I would be quite happy with a summary of errors at the end of installation.
   There is not even a 'Cancel' option to quit the package installation!

   So I think there should be something like an automatic addition of the
   required packages. A new user will not know he has to include the xpm
   package for every other X app for example.

To sum it up: Some little problems, a bit of frustration, but a great system
with a very good installation. Good work!

Guido

  Guido von Walter            mailto:gvw@brainaid.oche.de
			      http://brainaid.oche.de/~gvw
  Press any key to continue, any other key to exit