Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:26:04 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Josh Tiefenbach <josh@zipperup.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE Redux.

> On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:57:39AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I think this is a matter for Brian, but I'm glad to see that
> > the pppoe negotiation code is doing th eright thing now..
> > Did it just "magically" start working, or did you change something?
>
> No. Not really. I just let the modem sit turned off for a day. Came back.
> Updated sources and recompiled. Turned on modem. Bam. It worked. 'Course. It
> magically stopped working after I rebooted, but I'm not really going to worry
> 'bout that excessively right now.

Hmm, you didn't update tcpdump ?  It'd be nice to see the PPPoE
packets interpreted (which the -current tcpdump now does).

> > Maybe brian can give you more info on this bit..
>
> Hopefully. Brian? :)

Maybe not without a log file.  I *suspect* you need to ``set cd 3''
(or maybe higher).  Currently, ppp polls the netgraph node every second
to see if it's received a SUCCESS message.  It does this only for the
carrier detect timeout, which is 1 second by default.  ``set cd''
changes this.

This is a limitation we're stuck with 'till I abstract the ``set
dial'' and ``set hangup'' commands so that they're device specific -
on my todo list.  For the time being, ppp can't select() on the
descriptor during negotiation.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>