Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:27:00 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <rsm@acm.org>
To:        flygt@sr.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86 on ThinkPad 380?

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 07:40:10PM +0200, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 11:38:08AM +0100, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > Just wondering if anyone has had any luck getting Doug's NeoMagic X server
> > to work on a ThinkPad 380D (or similar).  It appears to start OK, but then
> > hangs the machine, as in it won't respond to the keyboard or mouse.  The
> > only way out is the Big Red Switch.
>
> I tried it on a machine, but had no luck with it unfortunately. It hang
> immediately after it should start detecting the different modes of the
> screen.

Problem solved.  My 2.2.7 CDs arrived right after I posted the question,
and after installing that everything worked fine (not sure about 1024x768
on the external monitor, but all the other modes are there).  I don't know
if it was just something wierd in my 2.2.6 setup, or the new XFree libs, or
what, but at least it works now.

I got the XF86Config modelines from one of the links off the main web page
for the NeoMagic driver (the URL is in my previous message).  It's cut
right down to supply just the values that actually work and not probe
anything -- this probably helped to get it working.

Hope this all is useful to someone else!

	Scott.